Sunday, October 10, 2010

Things I hate about Antigua


View from some stupid part of campus

So far living here in Antigua has taking some adjusting to...actually a lot of adjusting to. Before I left Connecticut everyone said how awesome and beautiful Antigua is. Well that may be true if you are here for 5 days. But not if you are living here. I guess living on a Caribbean island isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Some things I hate/frustrating/annoying about it here in no particuliar order:

  • NO sidewalks basically everywhere.
  • No street lights to go with no sidewalks.
  • Left side of road driving.
  • Pot holes EVERYWHERE. And I am using pot holes because I do not know what else to call these crater size holes in the street.
  • And on the topic of streets, there is not a single street that I have been on so far that is 'acceptable' anywhere. You constantly have to come to a complete stop while driving to take the car inch by inch to go through these holes, literally missing pieces of earth in the street so you dont pop your tire. This makes traveling uncomfortable and long.
  • ANTS. Ants are everywhere and seem to multiply as you hose down your room with RAID. They seem to feed off of raid. They love it. The more we spray raid, the more the ants come. Its like some mating pheromone. They just walk around everywhere. By the pool, by our front door, in our apartment and in our rooms. Can not get away from these things. Never before did I really want to kill animals as much as I do now.
  • Transportation. Hardly anyone that I have met here has their own transportation. No car, no scooter and no bicycle. Which sounds kinda nice. As in no gas and insurance payments. But that fades away in a few days. If you want to do anything and I mean anything you need to pay to go there. Except for our shitty bus ride to school, which we did end up paying $300 USD for. Example, if you want to go out somewhere you basically have to call a cab. So you call a cab, pay for the cab which the cabbies will charge anywhere from $5EC to $20 EC, one way. Then when you wanna come home you have to do the same. And that adds up. Where we live is not close to anything. Not close to school, not close the beach not close to restaurants. So unless someone buys a car, we have to rely on the cabbies who overcharge us each time.
  •  Laundry. It costs about $18 USD to do a load of laundry. The SCHOOL charges us this. Complete bullshit.
  • The fact that we have to pay an electrical bill while living 'on campus' and have to pay to get to school.
  • American University of Antigua and how everyone that is in charge seems to be mentally challenged.
  • Tax. Very high taxes here.
  • The heat sometimes. Its hot, it is growing on me. But you find yourself constantly sweating.
  • Slow internet all the time
I am not sure what else. But it still is frustrating being hit with everything at once. Especially when there is not that much you can do about it.

I like living in the Caribbean and I am sure that it will be an awesome thing that I will do in my life. But there can be some improvements. So I have to work on it and I will be back to report more.
Goodbye blog


Some dumbass donkey
 

No comments:

Post a Comment